Middle School Teacher Job Description & Career Outlook
A middle school teacher teaches children in the sixth through eighth grade levels. The job of a middle school teacher varies depending upon the course he is teaching. Excellent communication skills, a love for teaching and a compassion for children are necessary to be a good teacher.
Middle School Teacher Requirements And Common Tasks
Unlike teachers in elementary schools, teachers in middle schools teach in one specific subject such as math, English, social studies, science, art or physical education. Their responsibilities vary and include preparing courses, assigning lessons, grading homework and tests, creating classroom rules and meeting with parents to discuss student progress and behavior issues. Although the teacher commonly works in a classroom setting, he may work in other settings as well including outdoors, gymnasiums, the school library and a computer lab.
How to become a middle school teacher varies depending upon the field that the person wants to teach in. However, there are some general requirements for all persons pursuing a career in the teaching profession. First, every state requires a bachelor’s degree and a teacher training certificate to become a middle school teacher. Some states also need a person to get a master’s degree before they begin teaching. The bachelor’s degree is generally earned through the study of the field that the person plans to teach in, and the master’s degree in the study of education. Teachers must also be licensed in the state where they are teaching. Licensing rules differ from state to state, but they typically include an exam that demonstrates the person’s skill and competency in teaching. These licenses are then renewed annually.
Middle School Teacher Salary And Job Outlook
Most states have a great need and a multitude of jobs available for teachers. The salary of a teacher varies greatly depending on such factors as experience, the school’s location and the school itself. However, the average salary of a middle school teacher ranges from about $35,000 per year to $52,000. Most school systems offer a benefit package, as well, that includes such things as medical, dental, vision and paid vacations.
Middle Schools Education Teaching Degrees and Programs
- M.S. Curriculum and Instruction
- M.Ed. Instructional Design
- B.A. Science (5-12, Chemistry)
- M.A. Teaching - Science (5-9 or 5-12)
- And more...
- M.S.Ed - Literacy and Learning in the Content Areas (Grades 6-12)
- M.S.Ed - Middle Level Education (Grades 5-8)
- M.S.Ed - Adolescent Literacy and Technology (Grades 6-12)
- M.S.Ed - Mathematics (Grades 5-8)
- And more...
- Special Education (Middle Level/High School)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Teacher Leadership
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- And more...
- Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in Math
- Education Media Design & Technology, Master of Science (Online)