Specialized Teaching Degree
A specialized teacher is a teaching professional who educates students with specific needs. These teachers specialize in one specific education field to which they devote themselves. There are several different areas of specialization available including teaching gifted students, ESL students, and adult students. The overall career outlook for these type of educators is positive, as more schools seek to hire teachers with specialized training to better accommodate the needs of students. Online degree programs from accredited schools are a worthwhile option for busy students. They offer specialized teaching degrees which can prepare a student for nearly any kind of teacher specialization.
Being a specialized teacher requires several different skills. First, they need excellent social skills. The ability to communicate well with other people is very important. Not only do they have to be a good speaker, but a good listener as well. They also need patience. Specialized teachers work with students who have unique problems, which require an educator to remain calm and supportive even during challenging times.
How To Become A Specialized Teacher
Becoming a specialized teacher often requires additional training. First, they must complete a program in specialized education and earn a degree. The curriculum for most specialized teaching programs consists of a mixture of general coursework as well as education classes to prepare prospective teachers for working with students in a classroom setting. The majority of education programs allow for specialization. Students can choose to take elective coursework which prepares them to work within a specific teaching field. The overall course of study in a specialized teaching program can take up to four to five years to complete. There are, however, fast track options available that can allow a person to receive a specialized education degree in as little as three years. Some of these fast track options are available online. Online specialized teaching programs are quickly becoming a popular option for students who need some flexibility in their studies.
Specialized Teaching Degrees and Certification
Once a person completes the necessary coursework, receives a specialized teaching degree or specialized certification, and becomes certified, they can start pursuing specialized teaching jobs. There are many specialized teacher job opportunities. Those specializing in ESL can travel and teach abroad. Teachers specializing in adult education can find jobs at vocational and extension schools. Others will find excellent career opportunities within a traditional school setting. Examples of these jobs include working with gifted students and within school administration. While not as flexible as more traditional teaching degrees, having a bachelor’s degree in specialized teaching allows a person to command a higher salary and focus on teaching in a field that they truly enjoy.
- Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in Math
- Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in Literacy
- M.A. in Education/Early Childhood Ed.
- M.A. in Education/Secondary Teacher Education
- B.S. in Education / Elementary Education
- A.A. in Elementary Education
- And more...
- Teacher Aide
- Early Childhood Education (Certification Only)
- Master of Education in Early Childhood Education
- MA in Teaching: Advanced Studies in Secondary Education- National Board Preparation
- Superintendent Letter of Eligibility (SLE)
- And more...
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education (Birth - 5 Years)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education
- Special Education (Early Childhood/Elementary)
- Educational Administration: (EDD)
- And more...