Iowa Alternative Teacher Certification
There are several alternative methods for earning a teacher certification in Iowa. For those who are already certified in another state, an Exchange license is available. This license is valid for one year while the holder meets any deficiencies in order to obtain an Iowa license.
Teacher Intern License
An alternative route for certification is also available for candidates who possess a non-educational bachelor’s degree. This option is called a Teacher Intern license. Individuals pursuing a Teacher Intern license must have earned a bachelor’s degree with at least a 2.5 grade point average and met the subject matter coursework requirements. In addition, candidates must have gained at least three years of work experience after earning the bachelor’s degree, and they must complete an introductory teacher intern program at an approved university. This program includes 12 semester hours in pedagogy with 50 hours of field experience with students and a seminar which is completed during the year-long internship. An additional 12 semester hours are completed at the end of the internship, and the intern may then apply for an Initial teaching license.
Additional Information on an Iowa Alternative Teacher Certification
The following resources provide additional information on alternative routes to becoming a teacher in Iowa.
Teacher Intern License Iowa Board of Educational Examiners
Schools with Programs for Alternate Certification in Iowa
Because the alternative certification process is complex, we have researched and provided specific school programs below for individuals who have a bachelors degree outside of education and want to become a teacher. We recommend you: Request information from one or more of these specific programs
(Other master’s programs not listed below are intended for teachers who are trying to get deeper into their profession.)
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Global Training and Development - Master of Education
- International Education - Master of Education
- General Education - Master of Education
- And more...
- M.Ed. Teaching & Learning: History
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- Master of Arts in Teaching with Teaching Credential
- Master of Arts in Teaching with a Gifted Certificate
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed: Special Education (Non-Endorsement)
- And more...
Sorry, we could not find any matching schools
Page edited by Charles Sipe.