Washington DC Teacher Colleges and Degrees Online Guide
Becoming a teacher in Washington DC requires a number of steps, but attending a qualified teacher preparation program is essential. In fact, all teachers are required to complete a program from an accredited school in order to work in the educational system. For aspiring teachers looking for teaching schools in Washington DC, this guide provides key information to help you find the best school for your needs. There are several colleges and universities that offer teaching degrees in Washington DC. Scroll down to find a list of accredited teacher preparation programs. Whether you are just out of college or looking to change careers, this guide can serve as an informative starting point for your new career as a teacher.
- There are 11 colleges and universities with teacher degree programs in Washington D.C..1
- 11 colleges and universities offer a master’s or advanced degree in education.1
- Highest graduation rate*: Georgetown University, 93%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Trinity Washington University, 25%.1
- Highest net price per year*: Catholic University of America, $35,160.1
- Lowest net price per year*: Gallaudet University, $11,876.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for teaching degree programs in Washington, DC*: $12,806-$47,343.2
- Two schools ranked in US News National Universities Rankings in 2013 (top 100): Georgetown University (21), American University (77).
- Two schools ranked in Forbes Top Colleges List (top 100): Georgetown University (38), George Washington University (88).
- Seven teacher programs are accredited by the NCATE, TEAC, or CAEP (see below).*
*For 4-year colleges and universities with teacher degree programs.
Profiles of Well-Known Schools
Georgetown: The nation’s capital is home to Georgetown University, one of the most prestigious universities in the US. Georgetown does not confer undergraduate degrees in education, but specializes in graduate level studies for educators seeking a Master of Arts (MA) in teaching English as a Second Language and bilingual education. The programs at GU are known for their academic rigor and challenge. Graduates with the MA often pursue careers in teaching, administration, and policy. The MA degrees all operate under the auspices of the Georgetown University Center for New Designs in Learning and Scholarship. Many graduates go to work for Teach For America which brings in the nation’s brightest teachers into urban and rural public schools for a term of at least two years.
Howard University: Howard University is a Historically Black University (HBCU) located in the nation’s capital of Washington, D.C. The School of Education has been preparing the nation’s best urban educators since its inception in 1890. In addition to its academic programs, the School of Education has two research programs – a federally funded Upward Bound program as well as an Early Learning Program. The Journal of Negro Education is the School’s premier research publication. Students can matriculate to the college to study undergraduate or graduate level degrees in dozens of majors. Students learn innovative pedagogy and have ample opportunity to learn practical educational skill sets in the classroom. Howard University School of Education graduates are dispersed in every state in the US as well as internationally.
Teacher Preparation Programs Accredited by the NCATE, TEAC, or CAEP
- American University
- Gallaudet University
- George Washington University
- Howard University
- The Catholic University of America
- Trinity (Washington) University
- University of the District of Columbia
Read more about the CAEP, NCATE, and TEAC accrediting bodies.
School Programs for Becoming a Teacher in Washington DC
Request free information from the following schools to learn more about your options for choosing a teacher degree program. We recommend you: Request information from one or more of these schools
Schools with Teaching Degree Programs in Washington DC
4400 Massachusetts Ave NW
Washington, DC 20016
Catholic University of America
620 Michigan Ave NE
Washington, DC 20064
800 Florida Ave NE
Washington, DC 20002
George Washington University
2121 I St NW
Washington, DC 20052
3700 O St NW
Washington, DC 20057
2400 Sixth St NW
Washington, DC 20059
Trinity Washington University
125 Michigan Ave NE
Washington, DC 20017
University of the District of Columbia
4200 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC 20008
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-education/