Nevada Teacher Colleges and Degrees Online Guide
All Nevada teachers are required to complete a state teacher preparation program from an accredited school in order to work as a teacher in the state. This guide to teacher preparation programs provides key information to help you research options for pursuing a teaching degree in Nevada. There are several colleges and universities that offer degree programs that prepare students to become teachers or advance in an already-established teaching career. In order to find the right teaching school in Nevada for your career goals, this page contains lists of top-rated teaching programs, a table of accredited, state-approved teacher preparation programs, and student reviews. Whether you are a first-time college student or are looking to start a new career as a teacher, use this guide to help you find the best program for your individual needs.
- There are 9 colleges and universities with teacher degree programs in Nevada.1
- 4 colleges and universities offer an associate’s degree in education.*1
- 4 colleges and universities offer a bachelor’s degree in education.*1
- 4 colleges and universities offer a master’s or advanced degree in education.*1
- No schools ranked in Kiplinger’s Best College Values 2019.2
- No schools ranked in Princeton Review’s Great Schools for Education Majors 2020.3
- 2 schools ranked in US News & World Report’s Best Graduate Education Programs 2019.4
- 1 school ranked in US News & World Report’s Best Online Graduate Education Programs 2019.5
- 1 not-for-profit teacher program is accredited by the NCATE, TEAC, or CAEP.
*For not-for-profit colleges and universities with teacher degree programs.
Top-Ranked Schools with Education Programs in Nevada
US News & World Report’s Best Graduate Education Programs 2019
- University of Nevada-Reno (#110 tie)
- University of Nevada-Las Vegas (#143 tie)
US News & World Report’s Best Online Graduate Education Programs 2019
- University of Nevada-Las Vegas (#205 tie)
Comparison of Teacher Preparation Programs
We have designed the following table to help you compare teacher preparation programs in Nevada according to various factors. All of the schools included are not-for-profit institutions approved by the Nevada Department of Education for the preparation of teachers. Completing a state-approved teacher preparation program is an important step towards earning licensure.
While accreditation from the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) is not a requirement for licensure, it is included in the following table as CAEP provides a highly-regarded accreditation that is accepted in many states. Read more about the CAEP, NCATE, and TEAC accrediting bodies. We have also included rankings from the National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ), a research and policy group that scores teacher preparation programs at the national level using key standards chosen to measure students’ preparation for success in teaching. For further information on the NCTQ’s program rankings, please see the notes below the table.
You will also find data on teacher preparation program enrollment, completion, and licensing exam pass rates by institution for the 2017-2018 academic year in this table. These data points are collected from annual US Department of Education records under Title II (Teacher Quality) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which provides for reporting that holds institutions and state departments of education accountable for increasing academic achievement through improvements in teacher quality.
Programs that are not ranked, or for which data is not available, in a given category are denoted as “-“.
|State-Approved School||CAEP Accred.?6||NCTQ Undergrad Elementary Prog. % (2016)**7||NCTQ Undergrad Secondary Prog. % (2017)**7||Teacher Prep Prog. Enrollment8||Teacher Prep Prog. Completers8||Licensing Exams Pass Rate8||Net Price***1|
|Great Basin College||No||—||64%||56||21||86%||$12,230|
|Nevada State College||No||16%||18%||245||73||96%||$15,136|
|Sierra Nevada College||No||—||—||193||32||81%||$28,679|
|University of Nevada-Las Vegas||No||28%||21%||1,239||257||93%||$11,582|
|University of Nevada-Reno||Yes||—||—||901||185||92%||$16,230|
|Western Governors University-Nevada||No||—||—||396||19||96%||—|
*The NCTQ rated undergraduate elementary teaching programs in 2016 and undergraduate secondary teaching programs in 2017 by national percentile based on their overall scores on the NCTQ’s standards for teacher education. Schools that do not provide data on all key standards or that fall below the top 50% of schools nationally are not included by the NCTQ in their ratings. Visit the NCTQ website for more information on its standards and methodologies.
**Net price is per year for undergraduate tuition as calculated by the National Center for Education Statistics based on the cost of attendance (tuition, books, room and board, and related expenses) for students who qualify for in-state tuition and fees, less the average financial aid award (including grants and scholarships).
Profiles of Well-Known Schools
University of Nevada-Reno: Located in Reno, The University of Nevada College of Education offers dozens of majors for educational disciplines and career pathways. Students who desire careers in teaching, administration, counseling, curriculum, educational technology and more will find something for them at the College of Education. The programs range from undergraduate offerings that educate aspiring educators to graduate degrees for existing professionals. Programs include Counseling and Educational Psychology, Educational Leadership, Elementary Education, Equity and Diversity in Educational Settings, and Special Education. The Nevada College of Education is accredited by The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs, and The National Association for the Education of Young Children.
School Programs for Becoming a Teacher in Nevada
Schools with Teaching Degree Programs in Nevada
College of Southern Nevada*
700 College Dr
Henderson, NV 89002
Great Basin College
1500 College Pky
Elko, NV 89801
2850 W Horizon Ridge Pkwy Ste 300
Henderson, NV 89052
Nevada State College
1300 Nevada State Dr
Henderson, NV 89002
Sierra Nevada College
999 Tahoe Blvd
Incline Village, NV 89451
Touro University Nevada
874 American Pacific Dr
Henderson, NV 89014
University of Nevada-Las Vegas
4505 S Maryland Pkwy
Las Vegas, NV 89154
University of Nevada-Reno
Reno, NV 89557
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Kiplinger’s Best College Values: https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/college/T014-S001-best-college-values-college-finder/index.php#Tile
3. The Princeton Review. The Best 385 Colleges, 2020 Edition. The Princeton Review, 2019.
4. US News & World Report Best Graduate Education Schools 2019: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-education-schools/edu-rankings
5. US News & World Report Best Online Graduate Education Schools 2019: https://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/education/rankings
6. Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP): http://caepnet.org/provider-search
7. National Council on Teacher Quality Teacher Preparation Program Review: https://www.nctq.org/review/home
8. US Department of Education 2018 Title II Reports: https://title2.ed.gov/Public/Home.aspx