Nevada Alternative Teacher Certification

Alternative teacher preparation programs, also known as non-traditional programs, are designed for those who have a bachelor’s degree outside of education and typically lead to the award of a certificate or master’s degree. If you don’t have a bachelor’s degree, see our guide to traditional route certification in Nevada. If you do have a bachelor’s degree, continue reading below to learn more about alternative routes to teacher certification in Nevada.

Requirements for Alternative Certification

The minimum requirement for alternative teacher certification in Nevada is a bachelor’s degree. For most licensure pathways, candidates must also complete a teacher preparation program to earn full licensure. Alternative teacher preparation programs in Nevada can be completed in as little as one year as a post-graduate certificate. Candidates may also elect to earn a master’s degree in education, or in a core subject that includes an approved certification program.

Types of Alternative Teaching Licenses in Nevada

The State of Nevada Department of Education provides three main pathways to alternative teacher certification, depending on candidates’ education and experience. These different pathways also lead to different endorsement areas and are designed for those who have a bachelor’s degree in subjects other than education. Note that all teachers seeking certification in Nevada must be US citizens or lawful permanent residents.

Alternative Route to Licensure Program

The Alternative Route to Licensure (ARL) program is open to those who have a bachelor’s degree. Candidates must pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators and either hold a major or minor in the desired endorsement area or pass the appropriate Praxis Subject Area Assessment(s). Candidates must also be accepted to an approved ARL program. Note that applications for the ARL license are only accepted twice yearly during select weeks in September and April. All applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Successful applicants will be issued a conditional license that allows them to teach while completing the ARL program. Upon successful completion of all program requirements, candidates are eligible for a Standard teaching license.

Secondary Career and Technical License

Those who wish to teach career and technical education subjects in secondary grades may qualify for a license if they have at least a bachelor’s degree and complete specific courses plus at least 22 semester hours of teaching preparation coursework. Candidates must have a major or minor in the endorsement area(s) sought. Candidates must also pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators, the Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching, and the Praxis II content-area exams, if available in the endorsement area. For detailed information, refer to the State of Nevada Department of Education.

Special Qualifications License

A special qualifications license may be issued to prospective educators who have a bachelor’s degree that meets specific coursework requirements plus have additional qualifications. These qualifications vary according to the endorsement area but commonly include two years of teaching experience in a postsecondary environment and at least three years of work experience. Candidates may also qualify with at least five years of work experience in the content area to be taught and/or a master’s degree. Those pursuing this pathway must pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators exam, though this may be waived for candidates with a master’s degree. Candidates must also pass the appropriate Praxis II content area exams or have a valid license relating to the endorsement(s) sought issued by a professional licensing board.

Testing Requirements for Nevada Alternative Certification

In most cases, candidates for Nevada alternative teacher certification must pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators exam and the Praxis II Subject Assessments for the subject(s) to be taught. Candidates will also need to pass the University of Nevada-Reno exams in Nevada School Law, the Nevada Constitution, and the US Constitution or take approved coursework in these subjects to waive the exam requirement.

Transferring Teaching Licenses from Another State

Nevada offers limited reciprocity to teachers who hold certification in other states. Recent teaching experience is required and not all out-of-state licenses are recognized. Those who received a non-traditional certificate through an alternative certification program in another state may not be eligible for reciprocity. For more information, see our guide to teacher certification reciprocity or visit the Nevada Department of Education.

Nevada School District Requirements

Schools with Alternative and Master’s Programs in Nevada

To qualify for teacher certification in Nevada, you must graduate from an approved preparation program. The following school-based teacher preparation programs that lead to a certificate or master’s degree have been approved by the Nevada Department of Education (DOE):

  • Great Basin College* (Alternative)
  • University of Nevada-Las Vegas* (Alternative, Certificate, Master’s)
  • University of Nevada-Reno* (Alternative, Certificate, Master’s)
  • Western Governors University* (Alternative, Master’s)

*Schools with an asterisk offer programs that can include paid classroom placements, subject to qualifications and experience. The student may be responsible for securing their own placement. Contact program(s) of interest for further information.

Additional Resources

1. Nevada State Department of Education: https://doe.nv.gov/