Hawaii Teacher Colleges and Degrees Online Guide
This guide to teaching schools in Hawaii provides valuable information for aspiring teachers in the state. There are several colleges and universities that offer degree programs designed to prepare future teachers for a career in the classroom or advance in an established teacher career. For useful information on teaching degrees in Hawaii, take a look at a list of accredited teacher preparation programs as well as a number of student reviews. Whether you are fresh out of college or looking to change your current career, this guide should help you find the right program for your individual needs.
- There are 11 colleges and universities with teacher degree programs in Hawaii.1
- Seven colleges and universities offer a master’s or advanced degree in education.1
- Highest graduation rate*: University of Hawaii at Manoa, 56%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: University of Hawaii Maui College, 25%.1
- Highest net price per year*: Hawaii Pacific University, $22,360.1
- Lowest net price per year*: University of Hawaii Maui College, $6,757.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for teaching degree programs in Hawaii*: $4,630-$25,652.2
- Two schools ranked in US News Regional Universities (West) in 2013 (top 100): Hawaii Pacific University (81), Chaminade University of Honolulu (86).
- One school ranked in US News National Universities Rankings in 2013 (top 200): University of Hawaii-Manoa (156).
- Two teacher programs are accredited by the NCATE, TEAC, or CAEP (see below).*
*For 4-year colleges and universities with teacher degree programs.
Profiles of Well-Known Schools
Chaminade University of Honolulu: Chaminade is currently the only Catholic institution of higher education in the state of Hawaii. The university was founded in 1955 by the Society of Mary and was originally known as St. Louis Jr. College before being renamed Chaminade. The Marianists are well known for their ideals of inclusiveness and progressive thinking. The educational offerings are housed within the Chaminade Education Division which offers students the following degrees: Associate in Science in Education, Bachelor of Science in Education, Master of Arts in Teaching, and Master in Education. Chaminade also confers a fully accredited online bachelors degree program in teacher education geared towards students seeking their first teaching credentials. The curriculum is liberal arts based and infused with Marianist ideals that are designed to help the student grow educationally, professionally, personally and spiritually.
Top-Rated Teacher Preparation Programs
The National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) evaluated 1,100 US college programs that offer teacher preparation programs (Teacher Prep Review 2013 Report). No programs in Hawaii made the “honor roll” of 3 stars or higher and one program earned a two star rating. Read more about the NCTQ Teacher Prep Review 2013 Report.
The following teacher preparation programs in Hawaii received the highest ratings by the National Council on Teacher Quality:
- Chaminade University of Honolulu (Undergraduate Elementary)
The following reviewed schools were cited as problematic (no stars):
- University of Hawaii at Hilo (Undergraduate Elementary)
University of Hawaii at Manoa (Undergraduate Secondary)
University of Hawaii at Manoa (Graduate Secondary)
Teacher Preparation Programs Accredited by the NCATE, TEAC, or CAEP
- Halau Wanana / Kanu o ka ‘Aina Learning ‘Ohana
- University of Hawaii at Manoa
Read more about the CAEP, NCATE, and TEAC accrediting bodies.
School Programs for Becoming a Teacher in Hawaii
Request free information from the following schools to learn more about your options for choosing a teacher degree program. We recommend you: Request information from one or more of these schools
Schools with Teaching Degree Programs in Hawaii
Brigham Young University-Hawaii
55-220 Kulanui Street
Laie, HI 96762-1294
Chaminade University of Honolulu
3140 Waialae Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96816-1578
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop St.
Honolulu, HI 96813
Honolulu Community College
874 Dillingham Blvd
Honolulu, HI 96817-4598
Kapiolani Community College
4303 Diamond Head Rd
Honolulu, HI 96816-4496
Leeward Community College
96-045 Ala Ike
Pearl City, HI 96782-3393
University of Hawaii at Manoa
2500 Campus Road
Honolulu, HI 96822-2301
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-education/