Hawaii Alternative Teacher Certification

Alternative teacher preparation programs, also known as non-traditional programs, are designed for those who have a bachelor’s degree outside of education and typically lead to the award of a certificate or master’s degree. There are several routes to alternative certification in the state of Hawaii. These routes are primarily for individuals with career experience interested in changing careers, and typically require additional education beyond the bachelor’s degree to achieve full certification. If you don’t already have a bachelor’s degree, visit our guide to traditional certification in Hawaii. Continue reading to learn more about whether alternative route teacher certification is right for you.

Requirements for Alternative Certification

To pursue alternative teacher certification in Hawaii, candidates must have at least a bachelor’s degree. Candidates must also complete continuing education through an approved alternative teacher preparation program. These certification programs can be completed in as little as one year as a post-graduate certificate. Candidates may also elect to pursue a master’s degree in education, or in a core subject that includes an approved certification program.

Types of Alternative Teaching Licenses in Hawaii

The non-traditional paths to educator certification in Hawaii allow those with bachelor’s degrees in subjects other than education to become teachers. There are two routes to earn alternative teacher certification in the state.

Alternative Education Preparation Programs Route

The Alternative Education Preparation Programs (EPP) route is the main route to alternative teacher certification in Hawaii. This route requires candidates to apply to an approved Education Preparation Program and receive a pre-service evaluation. Candidates must then be admitted to the program and take the Praxis content area assessment for the endorsement(s) sought. After all program requirements are met, candidates are eligible for initial teacher licensure in Hawaii.

Career and Technical Education Limited Standard License

Trade professionals with at least three years of experience in their field and an associate’s degree who meet additional requirements may be eligible to receive a Career and Technical Education Limited Standard License to teach career and technical education (CTE) subjects. Additional requirements include passing a Praxis II content-area exam, if available, in the subject to be taught; current valid national industry certification or a state license in the subject to be taught; or 30 hours of content coursework in the subject to be taught. Candidates must also have at least 12 hours of pedagogy coursework from a state-approved teacher education program for the grade level(s) to be taught and pass the Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) for that grade level.

Testing Requirements for Hawaii Alternative Certification

Candidates for alternative teacher certification in Hawaii must pass the Praxis II content-area exam(s) for the subject(s) and grade level(s) to be taught. Depending on the route to certification, candidates may also be required to pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators and/or the Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching exams.

Transferring Teaching Licenses from Another State

Out-of-state applicants may be eligible for a Hawaii teaching certificate if they have either completed a state-approved teacher preparation program or have at least three years of teaching experience. For more information, refer to our teaching certificate reciprocity guide or the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board.

Schools with Alternative and Master’s Programs in Hawaii

To qualify for an educator’s license in Hawaii, you must complete an education program approved by the Hawaii Teaching Standards Board (HTSB). The school-based programs below culminate in the award of a certificate or master’s degree and have been approved by the HTSB:

  • Brigham Young University-Hawaii (Certificate)
  • Chaminade University (Master’s)
  • Hawaii Pacific University (Master’s)
  • Leeward Community College* (Alternative, Certificate–CTE only)
  • University of Hawaii-Hilo (Master’s)
  • University of Hawaii-Manoa (Certificate, Master’s)

*Schools with an asterisk offer programs that can include paid classroom placements, subject to qualifications and experience. The student may be responsible for securing their own placement. Contact program(s) of interest for further information.

Additional Resources

1. Hawaii Teacher Standards Board: https://hawaiiteacherstandardsboard.org/