Delaware Teacher Colleges and Degrees Online Guide
This guide to teacher preparation programs in Delaware is intended to provide useful information for anyone looking to obtain a teaching degree in Delaware. There are many teaching schools in the state that prepare aspiring teachers for a long career in the education sector. Scroll down to find lists of top-rated teaching programs, a table of accredited, state-approved teacher preparation programs, and student reviews. For those just entering the workforce or anyone looking to change careers, this guide to teaching schools in Delaware aims to help you find a program that meets your individual needs.
- There are 6 colleges and universities with teacher degree programs in Delaware.1
- 3 colleges and universities offer an associate’s degree in education.*1
- 4 colleges and universities offer a bachelor’s degree in education.*1
- 4 colleges and universities offer a master’s or advanced degree in education.*1
- 1 school ranked in Kiplinger’s Best College Values in 2019.2
- No schools ranked in Princeton Review’s Great Schools for Education Majors 2020.3
- 1 school ranked in US News & World Report’s Best Graduate Education Programs in 2019.4
- 1 school ranked in US News & World Report’s Best Online Graduate Education Programs in 2019.5
- 4 not-for-profit teacher programs are accredited by the NCATE, TEAC, or CAEP.
*For not-for-profit colleges and universities with teacher degree programs.
Top-Ranked Schools with Education Programs in Delaware
Kiplinger’s Best College Values 2019*
- University of Delaware (#172)
US News & World Report’s Best Graduate Education Programs 2019
- University of Delaware (#45 tie)
US News & World Report’s Best Online Graduate Education Programs 2019
- University of Delaware (#46 tie)
Comparison of Teacher Preparation Programs
We have designed the following table to help you compare the ratings of teacher preparation programs in Delaware according to various factors. All of the schools included are not-for-profit institutions approved by the Delaware Department of Education for the preparation of teachers. Completing a state-approved teacher preparation program is an important step towards earning licensure. While accreditation from the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) is not a requirement for licensure, many states accept degrees from CAEP-accredited institutions for those wishing to become certified. CAEP accreditation is highly regarded and shows that a program has met rigorous evidence-based standards. Read more about the CAEP, NCATE, and TEAC accrediting bodies.
The Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) also provides its own ratings of approved educator preparation institutions based on metrics including pre-service teachers’ academic performance, pass rates on the state’s certification assessments, and first-year teacher preparation ratings from surveys. Each individual certification program at an educator preparation institution is rated separately. A Tier 4 rating indicates programs assessed at the lowest level of performance, while a Tier 1 rating indicates programs assessed at the highest level of performance. Finally, we included ratings from the National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ), a research and policy group that scores teacher preparation programs at the national level using key standards chosen to measure students’ preparation for success in teaching.
|State-Approved School||CAEP Accred.?6||DDOE Program Tiers (2016)7||NCTQ UG Elem. Prog. % (2016)**8||NCTQ UG Second. Prog. % (2017)**8||Teacher Prep Prog. Enrollment9||Teacher Prep Prog. Completers9||Licensing Exams Pass Rate9||Net Price***1|
|Delaware State University||Yes||—||72%||—||32||30||96%||$12,736|
|Relay Graduate School of Education||No||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|University of Delaware||Yes||Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3||—||—||876||210||98%||$16,286|
|Wesley College||Yes||Tier 2||25%||—||22||15||100%||$23,823|
|Wilmington University||Yes||Tier 1, Tier 2||97%||—||135||124||98%||$14,955|
The NCTQ rated undergraduate elementary teaching programs in 2016 and undergraduate secondary teaching programs in 2017 by national percentile based on their overall scores on the NCTQ’s standards for teacher education. Schools that do not provide data on all key standards or that fall below the top 50% of schools nationally are not included by the NCTQ in their ratings. Visit the NCTQ website for more information on its standards and methodologies.
**Net price is per year for undergraduate tuition as calculated by the National Center for Education Statistics based on the cost of attendance (tuition, books, room and board, and related expenses) for students who qualify for in-state tuition and fees, less the average financial aid award (including grants and scholarships).
Profiles of Well-Known Schools
Delaware State University: Delaware State University is a Historically Black University (HBCU) that was founded in 1891. The university currently offers 52 undergraduate degree programs, 25 master’s degree programs, and five doctoral offerings. All of the educational programs are housed under the auspices of the College of Education, Health, and Public Policy. The College of Education is home to the Department of Education which offers undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degrees. The undergraduate majors include Early Childhood Education (Birth-2), Elementary Education (K-6), Elementary Special Education (1-8), Middle Level Education (5-8), Physical Education (K-12), Science Education and Secondary Special Education (7-12). Undergraduate education degrees are among the most popular bachelor degree programs in the entire university. Graduate degree students can choose from degrees in Adult Education, Curriculum and Instruction, Science Education and Special Education. All candidates must meet admissions standards including taking the GRE or MAT (Millers Analogy Test).
School Programs for Becoming a Teacher in Delaware
Schools with Teaching Degree Programs in Delaware
Delaware State University
1200 N Dupont Hwy
Dover, DE 19901
Delaware Technical and Community College-Owens*
Route 18 Seashore Hwy
Georgetown, DE 19947
Delaware Technical and Community College-Stanton-Wilmington*
400 Stanton-Christiana Rd
Newark, DE 19702
Delaware Technical and Community College-Terry*
100 Campus Dr
Dover, DE 19901
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716
320 Dupont Hwy
New Castle, DE 19720
An asterisk (*) denotes a two-year or certificate program in education. While a two-year degree will not qualify graduates for teacher certification, it can be a good starting point for a teaching career. To learn more about what you can do with this degree, see our guide to associate’s degrees in education.
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Kiplinger’s Best College Values: https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/college/T014-S001-best-college-values-college-finder/index.php#Tile
3. The Princeton Review. The Best 385 Colleges, 2020 Edition. The Princeton Review, 2019.
4. 2019 US News Best Graduate Education Schools: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-education-schools/edu-rankings
5. 2019 US News Best Online Graduate Education Schools: https://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/education/rankings
6. Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP): http://caepnet.org/provider-search
7. Delaware Department of Education: https://www.doe.k12.de.us/domain/398
8. National Council on Teacher Quality 2014-2016 Teacher Preparation Program Review: https://www.nctq.org/review/home
9. US Department of Education 2018 Title II Reports: https://title2.ed.gov/Public/Home.aspx