Rhode Island Teacher Colleges and Degrees Online Guide
Rhode Island requires all aspiring teachers to complete a teacher preparation program at an accredited institution before becoming eligible to teach in the state. The teaching school guide found below is designed to help future teachers find quality teaching schools in Rhode Island. There are several colleges and universities in the state that offer degree programs. For useful information on teaching degrees in Rhode Island, take a look at the list below of accredited teacher preparation programs and student reviews. For anyone determined to become an educator, this guide is a great place to find the best program for your individual needs.
- There are 9 colleges and universities with teacher degree programs in Rhode Island.1
- Seven colleges and universities offer a master’s or advanced degree in education.1
- Highest graduation rate*: Brown University, 95%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Providence College, 4%.1
- Highest net price per year*: Rhode Island School of Design, $33,185.1
- Lowest net price per year*: Rhode Island College, $8,426.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for teaching degree programs in Rhode Island*: $18,296 – $42,808.2
- One school ranked in US News National Universities Rankings in 2013 (top 100): Brown University (15).
- One school ranked in Forbes Top Colleges List (top 100): Brown University (19)).
- Two teacher programs are accredited by the NCATE, TEAC, or CAEP (see below).*
*For 4-year colleges and universities with teacher degree programs.
Profiles of Well-Known Schools
University of Rhode Island: The University of Rhode Island School of Education continuously develops the finest educators in the state of Rhode Island and beyond. The School has approximately 400 undergraduates and 300 graduate students. Education currently ranks second in undergraduate majors at the institution with just over 1,300 students. The university offers nearly 30 programs at the undergraduate, masters, and doctoral levels. The School of Education requires all teacher education candidates to pass both the Praxis exams prior to student teaching. In 2009, the school achieved its first 100% pass rate. Students majoring in secondary education must double major in their area of content such as history, science, and math. The University of Rhode Island is responsible for supplying the most certified teachers in the entire state.
Top-Rated Teacher Preparation Programs
The National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) evaluated and ranked 1,100 college programs that prepare future teachers for a professional career in the classroom (Teacher Prep Review 2013 Report). According to the NCTQ rating system, only one program in Rhode Island made the “honor roll” of 3 stars or higher. Read more about the NCTQ Teacher Prep Review 2013 Report.
The following teacher preparation programs in Rhode Island received the highest ratings by the National Council on Teacher Quality:
- Rhode Island College (Graduate Secondary)
University of Rhode Island (Undergraduate Secondary)
University of Rhode Island (Undergraduate Elementary)
Teacher Preparation Programs Accredited by the NCATE, TEAC, or CAEP
- Rhode Island College
- University of Rhode Island
Read more about the CAEP, NCATE, and TEAC accrediting bodies.
School Programs for Becoming a Teacher in Rhode Island
Request free information from the following schools to learn more about your options for choosing a teacher degree program. We recommend you: Request information from one or more of these schools
Schools with Teaching Degree Programs in Rhode Island
Providence, RI 2912
Johnson & Wales University
8 Abbott Park Place
Providence, RI 02903-3703
River Ave and Eaton St
Providence, RI 02918-0001
Rhode Island College
600 Mount Pleasant Ave
Providence, RI 2908
Rhode Island School of Design
2 College St
Providence, RI 2903
Roger Williams University
One Old Ferry Rd
Bristol, RI 02809-2923
University of Rhode Island
Kingston, RI 2881
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-education/