Rhode Island Teacher Colleges and Degrees Online Guide
Rhode Island requires all aspiring teachers to complete a teacher preparation program at an accredited institution before becoming eligible to teach in the state. There are several colleges and universities in the state that offer teacher preparation programs. This guide is designed to help future teachers find quality educator preparation programs in Rhode Island. Take a look at our lists of top-rated teaching programs, table of accredited, state-approved teacher preparation programs, and student reviews. For anyone looking to become an educator in Rhode Island, this guide is a great place to find the best program for your individual needs.
- There are 10 colleges and universities with teacher degree programs in Rhode Island.1
- 1 school offers an associate’s degree in education.1
- 6 schools offer a bachelor’s degree in education.1
- 8 schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in education.1
- No schools ranked in Princeton Review’s Great Schools for Education Majors 2022.2
- 2 schools ranked in US News & World Report’s Best Graduate Education Programs 2023.3
- 1 school ranked in US News & World Report’s Best Online Graduate Education Programs 2022.4
- No educator preparation providers (EPPs) are accredited by the NCATE, TEAC, or CAEP.5
- 1 educator preparation provider (EPP) is accredited by the AAQEP.6
For not-for-profit schools with teacher degree programs.
Table of Contents
- Teacher Preparation Program Comparison
- Top-Ranked Schools with Education Programs
- Select Schools with Teacher Preparation Degrees
- Schools with Associate Degrees in Education
- Student Reviews
Comparison of Rhode Island Schools with Teacher Preparation Programs
We have designed the following table to help you compare teacher preparation programs in
Rhode Island according to various factors. All of the schools included are not-for-profit institutions approved by the Rhode Island Department of Education (RIDE) for the preparation of teachers. Completing a state-approved teacher preparation program is an important step towards earning licensure.
While accreditation from the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) is not a requirement for licensure, it is included in the following table as CAEP provides a highly-regarded accreditation that is accepted in many states.
You will also find data on teacher preparation program enrollment, completion, and licensing exam pass rates by institution, for both traditional and alternative programs, for the 2019-2020 academic year in this table. These data points are collected from annual US Department of Education reports under Title II (Teacher Quality) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which holds institutions and state departments of education accountable for increasing academic achievement through improvements in teacher quality. Traditional teacher preparation programs are usually completed as part of a bachelor’s degree program. Alternative certification programs are typically designed for career changers looking to enter the field and lead to a postgraduate certificate or a master’s degree. Many schools in our table offer both traditional and alternative programs. Take a look at our Rhode Island traditional and alternative certification guides for more information.
Finally, we have provided the net price per year for undergraduate tuition, based on the cost of attendance (tuition, books, room and board, and related expenses) for students who qualify for in-state tuition and fees, less the average financial aid award (including grants and scholarships).
|State-Approved School||CAEP Accred.?5||Trad. Teacher Program Enrollment7||Trad. Teacher Prep Prog. Completers7||Trad. Licensing Exams Pass Rate7||Alt. Teacher Program Enrollment7||Alt. Teacher Prep Prog. Completers7||Alt. Licensing Exams Pass Rate7||Net Price1|
|Johnson & Wales University||No||52||14||92%||—||—||—||$29,560|
|Rhode Island College||No||490||139||100%||—||—||—||$10,557|
|Rhode Island School of Design||No||5||3||N.Av.||—||—||—||$40,048|
|Roger Williams University||No||183||48||71%||—||—||—||$34,890|
|Salve Regina University||No||209||41||100%||—||—||—||$35,620|
|University of Rhode Island||No||318||121||100%||—||—||—||$15,386|
- — indicates none or not applicable.
- N.Av. indicates data was not available or pass rates were omitted for confidentiality.
Top-Ranked Schools with Education Programs in North Dakota
US News & World Report’s Best Graduate Education Programs 2023
- University of Rhode Island (#143 tie)
- Johnson & Wales University (#207-274)
US News & World Report’s Best Online Graduate Education Programs 2022
Select Rhode Island Schools with Teacher Preparation Degrees
Brown University is an Ivy League school in Providence that offers both undergraduate and graduate programs for educators. For undergraduates, there is a Concentration in Education Studies program that prepares students for a career in education, both for those interested in future certification and those looking to become administrators or policy creators. This concentration includes student-chosen specialization in topics such as Education Policy Analysis, Child Development, and Teaching and Learning as well as an experiential final project connecting the degree to real-word experience. Brown also offers an Engaged Scholarship Certificate (ESC) for those who want to combine their teaching with social justice and community engagement. A Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree is available with certification as a secondary teacher (grades 7-12) in the areas of English, math, social studies, and science (biology, chemistry, or engineering/physics). Students can also pursue a combined Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) and MAT degree that can be completed in just five years. A fifth-year program in Urban Education Policy (UEP) is also available, as well as a fifth-year MAT.
University of Rhode Island
The University of Rhode Island (URI) offers multiple undergraduate and graduate degrees for those looking to become teachers. Undergraduate students can receive a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Elementary or Secondary Education. Both degrees are dual degrees, combining an education major with a specialization in a chosen subject area. URI also offers a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Early Childhood Education, for those interested in teaching ages preschool to second grades, and in Health and Physical Education (K-12). Graduate programs include a Master of Arts (MA) in Education with specialties in Elementary, Secondary, Reading, and Adult Education as well as a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Education. A Master of Science (MS) is also offered in College Student Personnel for students interested in careers in college and university settings. For those interested in teaching English as a second language (TESOL), the school offers a MA in TESOL/Bilingual Education (BDL) that can be earned primarily online. Finally, students can also receive certification in Music Education and endorsements for ESL and Middle Level teaching.
Schools with Associate Degrees in Education
While a bachelor’s degree is the minimum educational level required to qualify for state certification, an associate’s degree can be the first step towards a career in education. It can qualify graduates for careers in non-licensed roles in early childhood education, after-school care, and related areas. The credits earned from an accredited associate degree program can also typically be transferred towards a bachelor’s degree. The following Alabama schools offer associate’s degrees in education.1 Schools with an asterisk (*) also offer four-year teaching programs and/or alternative route to certification programs.
Community College of Rhode Island
400 East Ave
Warwick, RI 02886
Roger Williams University
1 Old Ferry Rd
Bristol, RI 02809
University of Rhode Island
45 Upper College Rd
Kingston, RI 02881
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. The Princeton Review. The Best 385 Colleges, 2022 Edition. The Princeton Review, 2021.
3. US News & World Report Best Graduate Education Schools 2023: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-education-schools/edu-rankings
4. US News & World Report Best Online Graduate Education Schools 2022: https://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/education/rankings
5. Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP): http://caepnet.org/provider-search
6. Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP): https://aaqep.org/accredited-programs
7. US Department of Education 2021 Title II Report: https://title2.ed.gov/Public/Home.aspx