Rhode Island Teacher Colleges and Degrees Online Guide
Rhode Island requires all aspiring teachers to complete a teacher preparation program at an accredited institution before becoming eligible to teach in the state. The teaching school guide found below is designed to help future teachers find quality teaching schools in Rhode Island. There are several colleges and universities in the state that offer degree programs. For useful information on teaching degrees in Rhode Island, take a look below at our lists of top-rated teaching programs, table of accredited, state-approved teacher preparation programs, and student reviews. For anyone determined to become an educator, this guide is a great place to find the best program for your individual needs.
- There are 9 colleges and universities with teacher degree programs in Rhode Island.1
- 1 college offers an associate’s degree in education.*1
- 6 colleges and universities offer a bachelor’s degree in education.*1
- 7 colleges and universities offer a master’s or advanced degree in education.*1
- 2 schools ranked in Kiplinger’s Best College Values 2019.2
- No schools ranked in Princeton Review’s Great Schools for Education Majors 2020.3
- 2 schools ranked in US News & World Report’s Best Graduate Education Programs 2019.4
- No schools ranked in US News & World Report’s Best Online Graduate Education Programs 2019.5
- 2 not-for-profit teacher programs are accredited by the NCATE, TEAC, or CAEP.
*For not-for-profit colleges and universities with teacher degree programs.
Top-Ranked Schools with Education Programs in Rhode Island
Kiplinger’s Best College Values 2019*
- Brown University (#35)
- Providence College (#261)
US News & World Report’s Best Graduate Education Programs 2019
- University of Rhode Island-Rhode Island College (#134 tie)
- Johnson & Wales University (#195-258)
Comparison of Teacher Preparation Programs
We have designed the following table to help you compare teacher preparation programs in Rhode Island according to various factors. All of the schools included are not-for-profit institutions approved by the Rhode Island Department of Education for the preparation of teachers. Completing a state-approved teacher preparation program is an important step towards earning licensure.
While accreditation from the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) is not a requirement for licensure, it is included in the following table as CAEP provides a highly-regarded accreditation that is accepted in many states. Read more about the CAEP, NCATE, and TEAC accrediting bodies. We have also included rankings from the National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ), a research and policy group that scores teacher preparation programs at the national level using key standards chosen to measure students’ preparation for success in teaching. For further information on the NCTQ’s program rankings, please see the notes below the table.
You will also find data on teacher preparation program enrollment, completion, and licensing exam pass rates by institution for the 2017-2018 academic year in this table. These data points are collected from annual US Department of Education records under Title II (Teacher Quality) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which provides for reporting that holds institutions and state departments of education accountable for increasing academic achievement through improvements in teacher quality.
Programs that are not ranked, or for which data is not available, in a given category are denoted as “-“.
|State-Approved School||CAEP Accred.?6||NCTQ Undergrad Elementary Prog. % (2016)**7||NCTQ Undergrad Secondary Prog. % (2017)**7||Teacher Prep Prog. Enrollment8||Teacher Prep Prog. Completers8||Licensing Exams Pass Rate8||Net Price***1|
|Johnson & Wales University||No||—||—||32||—||—||$27,165|
|Rhode Island College||Yes||3%||—||349||167||100%||$9,008|
|Rhode Island School of Design||No||—||—||—||4||—||$39,777|
|Roger Williams University||No||45%||52%||138||44||79%||$36,862|
|Salve Regina University||No||63%||89%||124||35||100%||$33,997|
|University of Rhode Island||Yes||66%||92%||352||149||100%||$18,739|
*The NCTQ rated undergraduate elementary teaching programs in 2016 and undergraduate secondary teaching programs in 2017 by national percentile based on their overall scores on the NCTQ’s standards for teacher education. Schools that do not provide data on all key standards or that fall below the top 50% of schools nationally are not included by the NCTQ in their ratings. Visit the NCTQ website for more information on its standards and methodologies.
**Net price is per year for undergraduate tuition as calculated by the National Center for Education Statistics based on the cost of attendance (tuition, books, room and board, and related expenses) for students who qualify for in-state tuition and fees, less the average financial aid award (including grants and scholarships).
Profiles of Well-Known Schools
University of Rhode Island: The University of Rhode Island School of Education continuously develops the finest educators in the state of Rhode Island and beyond. The School has approximately 400 undergraduates and 300 graduate students. Education currently ranks second in undergraduate majors at the institution with just over 1,300 students. The university offers nearly 30 programs at the undergraduate, masters, and doctoral levels. The School of Education requires all teacher education candidates to pass both the Praxis exams prior to student teaching. In 2009, the school achieved its first 100% pass rate. Students majoring in secondary education must double major in their area of content such as history, science, and math. The University of Rhode Island is responsible for supplying the most certified teachers in the entire state.
School Programs for Becoming a Teacher in Rhode Island
Schools with Teaching Degree Programs in Rhode Island
Providence, RI 2912
Johnson & Wales University
8 Abbott Park Pl
Providence, RI 02903-3703
River Ave and Eaton St
Providence, RI 02918-0001
Rhode Island College
600 Mount Pleasant Ave
Providence, RI 2908
Rhode Island School of Design
2 College St
Providence, RI 2903
Roger Williams University
One Old Ferry Rd
Bristol, RI 02809-2923
University of Rhode Island
Kingston, RI 2881
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Kiplinger’s Best College Values: https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/college/T014-S001-best-college-values-college-finder/index.php#Tile
3. The Princeton Review. The Best 385 Colleges, 2020 Edition. The Princeton Review, 2019.
4. US News & World Report Best Graduate Education Schools 2019: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-education-schools/edu-rankings
5. US News & World Report Best Online Graduate Education Schools 2019: https://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/education/rankings
6. Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP): http://caepnet.org/provider-search
7. National Council on Teacher Quality Teacher Preparation Program Review: https://www.nctq.org/review/home
8. US Department of Education 2018 Title II Reports: https://title2.ed.gov/Public/Home.aspx