Idaho Teacher Colleges and Degrees Online Guide
This guide is written for aspiring teachers looking to obtain a teaching degree in Idaho. There are many colleges and universities in the state that offer teacher preparation programs that prepare students for a career in education. Scroll down to find lists of top-rated teaching programs, a table of accredited, state-approved teacher preparation programs, and student reviews. For those interested in finding a qualified teaching school in Idaho, this guide should help you locate a program that best suits your individual career objectives.
- There are 11 colleges and universities with teacher degree programs in Idaho.1
- 7 colleges and universities offer an associate’s degree in education.*1
- 7 colleges and universities offer a bachelor’s degree in education.*1
- 6 colleges and universities offer a master’s or advanced degree in education.*1
- No schools ranked in Kiplinger’s Best College Values 2019.2
- No schools ranked in Princeton Review’s Great Schools for Education Majors 2020.3
- 1 school ranked in US News & World Report’s Best Graduate Education Programs 2019.4
- 3 schools ranked in US News & World Report’s Best Online Graduate Education Programs 2019.5
- 5 not-for-profit teacher programs are accredited by the NCATE, TEAC, or CAEP.
*For not-for-profit colleges and universities with teacher degree programs.
Top-Ranked Schools with Education Programs in Idaho
US News & World Report’s Best Graduate Education Programs 2019
- Boise State University (#39 tie)
US News & World Report’s Best Online Graduate Education Programs 2019
- Boise State University (#126 tie)
- Northwest Nazarene University (#180 tie)
- University of Idaho (#228-299)
Comparison of Teacher Preparation Programs
We have designed the following table to help you compare teacher preparation programs in Idaho according to various factors. All of the schools included are not-for-profit institutions approved by the Idaho State Department of Education for the preparation of teachers. Completing a state-approved teacher preparation program is an important step towards earning licensure.
While accreditation from the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) is not a requirement for licensure, it is included in the following table as CAEP provides a highly-regarded accreditation that is accepted in many states. Read more about the CAEP, NCATE, and TEAC accrediting bodies. We have also included rankings from the National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ), a research and policy group that scores teacher preparation programs at the national level using key standards chosen to measure students’ preparation for success in teaching. For further information on the NCTQ’s program rankings, please see the notes below the table.
You will also find data on teacher preparation program enrollment, completion, and licensing exam pass rates by institution for the 2017-2018 academic year in this table. These data points are collected from annual US Department of Education records under Title II (Teacher Quality) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which provides for reporting that holds institutions and state departments of education accountable for increasing academic achievement through improvements in teacher quality.
Programs that are not ranked, or for which data is not available, in a given category are denoted as “-“.
|State-Approved School||CAEP Accred.?6||NCTQ Undergrad Elementary Prog. % (2016)**7||NCTQ Undergrad Secondary Prog. % (2017)**7||Teacher Prep Prog. Enrollment8||Teacher Prep Prog. Completers8||Licensing Exams Pass Rate8||Net Price***1|
|Boise State University||Yes||—||—||550||175||99%||$13,363|
|Brigham Young University Idaho||No||66%||71%||1,279||348||97%||$7,727|
|College of Idaho||No||—||—||390||11||83%||$22,277|
|Idaho State University||Yes||25%||—||195||60||100%||$12,637|
|Lewis-Clark State College||Yes||79%||76%||111||41||97%||$11,482|
|Northwest Nazarene University||Yes||—||94%||218||52||100%||$19,204|
|University of Idaho||Yes||49%||—||85||88||98%||$14,997|
*The NCTQ rated undergraduate elementary teaching programs in 2016 and undergraduate secondary teaching programs in 2017 by national percentile based on their overall scores on the NCTQ’s standards for teacher education. Schools that do not provide data on all key standards or that fall below the top 50% of schools nationally are not included by the NCTQ in their ratings. Visit the NCTQ website for more information on its standards and methodologies.
**Net price is per year for undergraduate tuition as calculated by the National Center for Education Statistics based on the cost of attendance (tuition, books, room and board, and related expenses) for students who qualify for in-state tuition and fees, less the average financial aid award (including grants and scholarships).
Profiles of Well-Known Schools
Boise State University: Boise State University is home to College of Education that consists of the departments of Bilingual Education, Counselor Education, Curriculum, Instructional and Foundational Studies, Educational Technology, Kinesiology, Literacy, and Special Education and Early Childhood Studies. The College of Education at Boise State is highly regarded as one of the finest in the Pacific Northwest. It is home to over 2,300 students with the majority being enrolled in one of the 25 undergraduate degree programs. The graduate and doctoral programs consist of approximately 600 students total enrolled in 14 programs. Boise State education majors are known for their passion for students and ability to draw potential out of students at any age. The school features above average passing test scores and grades among their undergraduate and graduate populations.
Lewis-Clark State College: Lewis-Clark State College, located in Lewiston, Idaho, has been educating teachers for over a century and provides several options for acquiring teaching endorsements and certificates. The main programs include the Elementary Education Certification Program and the Secondary Teacher Education Program which prepare new teachers with a combination of coursework and teaching experience in the classroom. There is also a Kinesiology Program that prepares individuals to teach K-12 physical education and 6-12 health. All teacher education programs are fully accredited by the NCATE.
School Programs for Becoming a Teacher in Idaho
Schools with Teaching Degree Programs in Idaho
Boise State University
1910 University Dr
Boise, ID 83725
Brigham Young University-Idaho
525 S Center
Rexburg, ID 83460
College of Southern Idaho*
315 Falls Ave
Twin Falls, ID 83301-1238
Idaho State University
921 S 7th Ave
Pocatello, ID 83209
Lewis-Clark State College
500 8th Ave
Lewiston, ID 83501-2698
Northwest Nazarene University
623 Holly St
Nampa, ID 83686-5897
The College of Idaho
2112 Cleveland Blvd
Caldwell, ID 83605-4432
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive
Moscow, ID 83844-2282
An asterisk (*) denotes a two-year or certificate program in education. While a two-year degree will not qualify graduates for teacher certification, it can be a good starting point for a teaching career. To learn more about what you can do with this degree, see our guide to associate’s degrees in education.
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Kiplinger’s Best College Values: https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/college/T014-S001-best-college-values-college-finder/index.php#Tile
3. The Princeton Review. The Best 385 Colleges, 2020 Edition. The Princeton Review, 2019.
4. US News & World Report Best Graduate Education Schools 2019: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-education-schools/edu-rankings
5. US News & World Report Best Online Graduate Education Schools 2019: https://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/education/rankings
6. Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP): http://caepnet.org/provider-search
7. National Council on Teacher Quality Teacher Preparation Program Review: https://www.nctq.org/review/home
8. US Department of Education 2018 Title II Reports: https://title2.ed.gov/Public/Home.aspx