Wyoming Alternative Teacher Certification

Alternative paths to teacher certification in Wyoming are available for individuals who have earned a degree in a subject other than education and did not complete an approved teacher preparation program.

Requirements for Alternative Certification

Candidates for alternative teacher certification in Wyoming must hold at least a bachelor’s degree and may need to pass the Praxis exams for educators, depending on the endorsement(s) they are seeking. Candidates typically must complete a teacher preparation program, which may be completed as a post-graduate certificate or a master’s degree in education, or in a core subject that includes an approved certification program.

Types of Alternative Teaching Licenses in Wyoming

There are two main pathways to Wyoming alternative teacher certification. These non-traditional paths allow some flexibility based on candidates’ previous education and experience. For more information on these options, consult the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board.

Northern Plains Transition to Teaching

The Northern Plains Transition to Teaching (NPTT) program leads to teacher licensure in the secondary grades. Applicants must have a major in an endorsable secondary content area. Candidates then must secure an offer of employment from a Wyoming secondary school and commit to completing the NPTT program. Those who qualify will receive an Exception Authorization that allows them to teach full-time while completing the NPTT program at Montana State University-Bozeman, which if successfully completed leads to a master’s degree and full teaching licensure. The required courses may be completed online for candidates who are not in the Bozeman area.

Professional Industry Career Permit

The Professional Industry Career (PIC) Permit is issued to those who are qualified to teach career and technical education subjects in grades 6 through 12. Candidates must have at least a high school diploma and two years of work experience for each occupational specialty. Work experience must be verified by previous employers. Note that for many subjects, such as business and technology or trade and technical, candidates must have a bachelor’s degree. Candidates who are issued a PIC permit must submit and complete a Plan for Continued Professional Advancement.

Testing Requirements for Wyoming Alternative Certification

Wyoming does not require prospective teachers seeking endorsements in the secondary grades to pass the Praxis series of exams. Those seeking a Professional Industry Career Permit to teach at the middle school level may need to pass the Praxis II exam if one is available for the endorsement(s) sought. However, all teaching candidates must either have appropriate coursework in the US and Wyoming Constitutions or pass the Professional Teaching Standards Board exam for these subjects.

Transferring Teaching Licenses from Another State

Reciprocity for experienced teachers is possible provided applicants have completed an approved teacher preparation program, have an Institutional Recommendation for licensure, and meet equivalent standards for teacher licensure in Wyoming. For more detailed information on reciprocity, visit our guide to teaching certificate reciprocity or contact the Professional Teaching Standards Board.

Additional Resources

Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board
Northern Plains Transition to Teaching
Professional Industry Career Permit

Schools with Alternative Certification Programs in Wyoming

Because the alternative certification process is complex, we have researched and provided specific school programs below for individuals who have a bachelor’s degree outside of education and want to become a teacher. We recommend you request information from one or more of these specific programs:

Searching for Schools...
Matching School Ads

1. Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board: http://wyomingptsb.com/