Utah Alternative Teacher Certification

For those who would like to teach in Utah but did not follow the traditional route to achieve educator licensure, there are paths available for earning alternative teacher certification in Utah.

Requirements for Alternative Certification

The basic requirement to earn alternative teacher certification in Utah is a bachelor’s degree. There are exceptions to the bachelor’s degree requirement in certain career and technical education subjects. Candidates must also be prepared to take the state’s required exams for educators and complete additional education, which may be a licensure-only program or a master’s degree in education.

Types of Alternative Teaching Licenses in Utah

There are three main pathways to earn teacher licensure in Utah through alternative routes, besides the out-of-state option. These routes are designed for those who have a bachelor’s degree in a subject other than education.

Alternative Routes to Licensure (ARL)

Those who already hold a bachelor’s degree may complete Utah’s Alternative Routes to Licensure (ARL) program. Once approved, an individualized ARL plan of teacher preparation coursework is developed to outline the requirements for licensure based on the candidate’s background. A Professional Growth Plan is also developed, which typically involves pedagogy classes, methods courses, and Praxis assessments. The Praxis II content area exam for the endorsement sought must be passed for certification. Teacher candidates using the ARL must teach for at least one year and can renew the plan for up to three years while the remaining requirements are completed for licensure as long as satisfactory evaluations are submitted. Upon completion of the ARL program, a Letter of Recommendation for Licensure allows the candidate to receive a Level 1 license.

In Utah, prospective career and technical education (CTE) teachers typically follow the ARL pathway. Candidates must have work experience and industry certification, if available, in the CTE subject to be taught in lieu of a bachelor’s degree. For detailed information based on subject area, visit the Utah State Board of Education website.

University Licensure Program

Several universities in Utah offer licensure-only programs, which may lead to licensure and a master’s degree. To qualify a graduate for licensure, such a program must hold current accreditation a regional accrediting body. If you are looking for information about nationally accredited schools, see our list of CAEP accredited schools in Utah. If your licensure-only program was completed in a state other than Utah, you should follow the steps for an out-of-state license through reciprocity.

Utah’s Academic Pathway to Teaching (APT) Program

The Academic Pathway to Teaching program allows people with a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university to apply for a Level 1 APT license to teach at the elementary (grades K-6) or secondary (grades 6-12) level by taking the corresponding Board-approved content knowledge test. Teachers who are hired under the APT program will be assigned a teacher leader as a personal mentor and will have to complete the Entry Years Enhancement (EYE) program as well as a minimum of three years of supervised teaching under his or her mentor to be eligible to apply for a Level 2 license.

Testing Requirements for Utah Alternative Certification

Utah has adopted the Praxis Series of tests for prospective teachers. Some teacher preparation programs may require students to pass the Praxis exams prior to beginning program coursework. All future educators in Utah must pass the Praxis II test in the content area that they would like to teach before receiving certification.

Transferring Teaching Licenses from Another State

Individuals who hold a teaching certificate in another state may qualify for Utah teacher licensure by reciprocity. Each application is evaluated on an individual basis. Those who have less than three years of experience in another state are required to complete the (EYE) program. For further details, refer to our guide to teaching certificate reciprocity or the Utah State Board of Education.

Additional Resources

Schools with Alternative Certification Programs in Utah

Because the alternative certification process is complex, we have researched and provided specific school programs below for individuals who have a bachelor’s degree outside of education and want to become a teacher. We recommend you request information from one or more of these specific programs:

Searching for Schools...
Matching School Ads

1. Utah State Board of Education: https://www.schools.utah.gov/