The New Hampshire Teaching and Certification Resource

All teachers in the New Hampshire public school system must hold an educator’s license issued by the New Hampshire Department of Education. The New Hampshire Department of Education Bureau of Credentialing oversees the certification process, which is detailed below for those seeking information on how to become a teacher in New Hampshire.

How to Become a Teacher in New Hampshire

In order to teach in the state of New Hampshire, individuals must first earn New Hampshire teacher certification by fulfilling the education and testing requirements. All New Hampshire educators must hold a bachelor’s degree, complete a state-approved teacher preparation program, and pass the required content and subject area examinations.

The traditional pathway to New Hampshire teacher certification, which involves completing a professional teacher preparation program as part of the bachelor’s degree curriculum, is known as the Alternative 1 pathway. Candidates who have a bachelor’s degree but did not complete a teacher preparation program may be eligible for alternative routes to teacher certification in New Hampshire.

Quick Guide

Finding Approved Teacher Education Programs in New Hampshire

Projected Job Growth


Growth in Teaching Jobs in NH through 20242

In order to obtain a New Hampshire teaching license, prospective educators must complete an approved New Hampshire teacher preparation program. You can find a list of currently approved programs through the New Hampshire Department of Education.

In addition to completing a teacher preparation program, candidates for certification must complete a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university. There are six regional accreditation agencies that are recognized by the US Department of Education. Applicants evaluating teacher preparation programs should confirm that their school of choice is in good standing with the appropriate regional accreditation agency.

Schools may also hold accreditation from the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), which was formed from the merger of the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). Although CAEP accreditation is not mandatory, it is seen as a marker of high quality in terms of education curriculum and process.

See our list of CAEP accredited schools in New Hampshire.

New Hampshire Teacher Outlook
The New Hampshire Employment Security Department projects 20 average annual job openings due to growth and 134 average annual job openings due to replacements for elementary school teachers, 11 average annual job openings due to growth and 77 average annual openings due to replacements for middle school teachers, and 16 average annual job openings due to growth and 118 average annual openings due to replacements for secondary school teachers in New Hampshire through 2024.3 The US Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that there are 14,970 elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers in New Hampshire.4 Elementary school teachers in New Hampshire earn an average annual salary of $55,650, middle school teachers an average annual salary of $57,730, and secondary school teachers an average annual salary of $56,850.4 For updates on education policy and the teaching job market visit the National Education Association – New Hampshire.

New Hampshire Teacher Education Requirements

Candidates for initial teaching certification in New Hampshire must complete a bachelor’s degree and an educator preparation program approved by the New Hampshire Department of Education. In addition, once a student completes the required preparation program, he or she must be recommended for licensure by his or her university.

New Hampshire Teacher Testing Requirements

New Hampshire State SealCandidates for New Hampshire teaching certification are required to demonstrate their knowledge through a series of assessments. For initial certification, individuals must demonstrate basic skills in reading, writing, and mathematics by passing the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators exam. Candidates with scores above the fiftieth percentile on the SAT, ACT, or GRE exams may have this requirement waived.

All prospective educators must demonstrate subject-specific knowledge by taking the Praxis Subject Assessments for the subject(s) to be taught. Finally, candidates for certification in Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education, or Reading and Writing must take the Pearson Education Foundations of Reading test.

Additional New Hampshire Teacher Certification Requirements

By state law, those working as teachers in New Hampshire must submit fingerprints for a state and federal background check. This background check is typically completed through the teacher preparation program attended prior to student teaching. New Hampshire public schools are responsible for ensuring that all teachers have a current and clear background check on file prior to placing a teacher in the classroom.

New Hampshire Teachers Licensing Application Process

Once all steps towards New Hampshire educator certification have been completed, applicants must apply for a teaching license through the state’s Bureau of Credentialing. The processing of documents can take up to three months so it’s recommended to send in all information with ample time before the school year/semester begins. Required documents include:

  • Official transcripts showing proof of bachelor’s degree.
  • Proof of completion of an approved teacher preparation program, including an institutional recommendation for a license.
  • Passing scores on the required examinations.
  • Payment of non-refundable certification processing fee.
  • Completed application for teaching certification in New Hampshire.

Completed applications should be sent to:

New Hampshire Department of Education
Division of Program Support
Bureau of Credentialing
101 Pleasant St
Concord, NH 03301-3860

Visit the New Hampshire Department of Education website for further details on New Hampshire teacher certification.

New Hampshire Teacher Salary and Jobs

TypeNumber EmployedAverage Annual Salary
Preschool Teachers2,760$29,450
Preschool Teachers, Special Education50$48,920
Kindergarten Teachers550$49,530
Elementary School Teachers6,230$55,650
Special Education Teachers, Kindergarten and Elementary School1,160$56,090
Middle School Teachers3,960$57,730
Middle School Teachers, Special Education650$55,780
Secondary School Teachers4,780$56,850
Secondary School Teachers, Special Education630$57,550
Secondary School Teachers, Career/Technical Education380$57,840

Data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2015.4

Frequently Asked Questions about Becoming a Teacher in New Hampshire

Question: What are the requirements to become a high school teacher in New Hampshire?

Answer: To become a high school teacher in New Hampshire candidates must earn a license to teach secondary education through the state. To be eligible for the credential, you must have a bachelor’s degree and have completed a teacher preparation program. You must also pass the state’s required assessments for educators.

Teaching and Education Programs

Searching for Schools...
Matching School Ads

1. New Hampshire Department of Education: https://www.education.nh.gov/certification/index.htm
2. Projections Central, Long Term Occupational Projections: http://www.projectionscentral.com/Projections/LongTerm
3. New Hampshire Employment Security: https://www.nhes.nh.gov/elmi/products/proj.htm
4. US Bureau of Labor Statistics, May 2015 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates, New Hampshire: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nh.htm