Nebraska Alternative Teacher Certification

There are multiple options for Nebraska alternative teacher certification available for individuals who have not completed a traditional teacher preparation program but do have a bachelor’s degree. These alternative pathways to teacher licensure in Nebraska aim to attract career professionals to the classroom in high-need areas.

Requirements for Alternative Certification

All candidates for alternative teacher certification in Nebraska must have at least a bachelor’s degree. These candidates will typically need to pass the same exams as traditional-path educators and will need to fulfill the state’s teacher education requirements, but may receive additional time to do so while teaching in a classroom. Alternative teacher certification programs can be completed in as little as one year as a post-graduate certificate or may lead to a master’s degree in education, or in a core subject that includes an approved certification program.

Types of Alternative Teaching Licenses in Nebraska

The different pathways to alternative teaching licenses in Nebraska provide options for those with different education and work experience backgrounds. These programs are typically designed for those who have a bachelor’s degree in a subject other than education.

Alternative Program Teaching Permit

The Alternative Program Teaching Permit is issued to those who hold a bachelor’s degree, meet the requirements for at least one teaching endorsement, have completed at least 50% of pre-student teaching requirements in a teacher preparation program, and have a written request for this type of permit from an employing school district. As such, the Alternative Program Teaching Permit requires candidates to first enter an approved teacher preparation program in Nebraska. The permit is valid for two years and cannot be renewed.

Transitional Teaching Permit

The Transitional Teaching Permit supports the online transitional teacher certification program offered at the University of Nebraska at Kearney. To qualify for the permit, candidates must have a bachelor’s degree with 75% of an endorsement requirement completed; have completed 3 professional education modules online through the University of Nebraska at Kearney program; and develop a transitional plan that leads to a regular teaching certificate within the next six years. Candidates must complete at least 6 credit hours of the teacher certification program each year to renew the certificate, which allows teaching full-time while completing regular certification requirements.

Provisional Teaching Certificate

Another alternate route to teaching in Nebraska is the Provisional Teaching Certificate. This option is available to those who have completed a bachelor’s degree, teacher preparation program, and human relations training but have not yet completed one or more of the following requirements: the Praxis I assessment, special education training, and/or recency. This license can be renewed if progress is made by completing at least one of the deficiencies.

Postsecondary Teaching Permit

The Postsecondary Teaching Permit is an option for those who are employed by a postsecondary (college or career preparatory) school in Nebraska and are approved by a school board to teach high school courses that result in both high school and college credit. Candidates for this pathway must also meet the human relations training requirement and pass a fingerprint background check.

Career Education Teaching Permit

The Career Education Teaching Permit allows holders to teach career and technical education (CTE) subjects in cases where a regularly qualified teacher for specific courses cannot be hired. The permit is limited to career education subjects in grades 9 to 12. To qualify, candidates must have completed acceptable training and work experience for the career area to be taught, which may be demonstrated by five years of practice, an apprenticeship, or passing an approved competency test. Candidates must also complete the human relations training required of all teacher candidates, as well as a background check. Once issued, this type of permit is valid for three years.

Testing Requirements for Nebraska Alternative Certification

In most cases, candidates for Nebraska alternative teacher certification must pass a content-area exam to prove competency in their endorsement area(s). Some pathways may also require candidates to pass the Praxis I Core Academic Skills exam. Refer to the Nebraska Department of Education for the current exam process for your intended route to licensure.

Transferring Teaching Licenses from Another State

Educators who hold valid credentials from other states may be able to transfer their certification to Nebraska. The Nebraska Department of Education evaluates each application on a case-by-case basis. Note that testing-only or alternative preparation programs in other states are generally not recognized by Nebraska for reciprocity. You can learn more about these requirements through our interstate reciprocity guide.

Additional Resources

Nebraska Department of Education

Schools with Alternative Certification Programs in Nebraska

Because the alternative certification process is complex, we have researched and provided specific school programs below for individuals who have a bachelors degree outside of education and want to become a teacher. We recommend you request information from one or more of these specific programs:

Searching for Schools...
Matching School Ads

1. Nebraska State Department of Education: https://www.education.ne.gov/