Kansas Alternative Teacher Certification

Alternative teacher preparation programs, also known as non-traditional programs, are designed for those who have a bachelor’s degree outside of education and typically lead to the award of a certificate or master’s degree. Kansas offers various paths to alternative teacher certification designed to attract career-switchers and experienced professionals who have a bachelor’s degree to the classroom. If you don’t have your bachelor’s degree, visit our guide to traditional route certification in Kansas. If you do have a bachelor’s degree, find out more about alternative routes to licensure by reading below.

Requirements for Alternative Certification

To be eligible for alternative teacher certification in Kansas, candidates must have at least a bachelor’s degree. Candidates must also typically take the Praxis content area exams appropriate to the grade level(s) and subject(s) they wish to teach. Candidates usually must also complete a teacher preparation program, which can be completed in as little as one year as a post-graduate certificate. Candidates may also elect to pursue a master’s degree in education, or in a core subject that includes an approved certification program.

Types of Alternative Teaching Licenses in Kansas

The Kansas State Department of Education offers different pathways for alternative teacher certification. These pathways are designed for those with a bachelor’s or higher degree in subjects other than education.

Restricted Teaching License

To be eligible for the Restricted Teaching License alternative path to licensure, an applicant must have a degree in the content area for which the license is desired and must have earned at least an overall 2.75-grade point average. Candidates must also have a passing score on the appropriate Praxis content exam for the subject they wish to teach.

Candidates must then be accepted to an alternative route program at an approved Kansas college or university and obtain an employment offer from a local school district. Once these requirements are met, candidates can apply for the Restricted License and teach full-time while completing the alternative route program requirements. This license may be renewed for an additional year if the holder is making satisfactory progress toward acquiring an initial or professional license.

Restricted Technical Education Certificate

Prospective teachers of career and technical education subjects may qualify for a Restricted Technical Education certificate if they have an employment offer from a local school district, have at least 4,000 hours of occupational experience in the content area to be taught, and are admitted to an acceptable professional teacher training program of at least 18 semester hours. Candidates must complete new teacher orientation, a recognized trade competency exam, and attend professional conferences related to the endorsement sought at least once per year. Within four years, candidates must complete the remaining training program requirements to earn a full Technical Education Certificate.

Testing Requirements for Kansas Alternative Certification

Candidates for alternative teacher certification in Kansas must take and pass the Praxis content-area exam appropriate to the endorsement(s) sought. For career and technical subjects where a Praxis subject exam is not offered, candidates must take a recognized industry certification exam. Read more about the required exams through the Kansas Department of Education website.

Transferring Teaching Licenses from Another State

Those who hold teaching certificates in other states may qualify for licensure by reciprocity. Kansas requires that licensure candidates complete a bachelor’s degree and teacher preparation program. Candidates must also have passed the appropriate licensure examinations or their equivalent in another state. For more information, visit our teaching certificate reciprocity guide or contact the Kansas State Department of Education.

Schools with Alternative and Master’s Programs in Kansas

In order to ensure that you qualify for licensure, it’s important to verify that the certification program you select is approved by the state. The list below includes school-based teacher preparation programs leading to a certificate or master’s degree that have been approved by the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE).

  • Emporia State University* (Alternative, Master’s)
  • Fort Hays State University* (Alternative, Master’s)
  • Kansas State University* (Alternative, Master’s)
  • MidAmerica Nazarene University* (Alternative, Certificate, Master’s)
  • Ottawa University (Master’s)
  • Pittsburgh State University* (Master’s)
  • Southwestern College* (Alternative, Master’s)
  • University of Saint Mary-Overland Park (Master’s)
  • Wichita State University* (Alternative, Certificate, Master’s)

*Schools with an asterisk offer programs that can include paid classroom placements, subject to qualifications and experience. The student may be responsible for securing their own placement. Contact program(s) of interest for further information.

Additional Resources

1. Kansas State Department of Education: https://www.ksde.org/Agency/Division-of-Learning-Services/Teacher-Licensure-TL