Arizona Alternative Teacher Certification

There are a few options for earning Arizona alternative teacher certification for individuals who hold at least a bachelor’s degree. Continue reading to learn more about these alternative pathways to a classroom teaching career.

Requirements for Alternative Certification

To pursue alternative teacher certification in Arizona, candidates must have at least a bachelor’s degree if pursuing an endorsement in a traditional subject area. However, those who do not hold a bachelor’s degree and have significant experience may be eligible to teach career and technical education or may wish to pursue traditional pathways to licensure. Alternative preparation certificate programs in Arizona can be completed in as little as one year. Candidates may also earn a master’s degree in education, or in a teachable subject that includes an approved certification program.

Teaching Intern Certificate Pathway

Individuals with a bachelor’s degree can receive a temporary license, known as a Teaching Intern Certificate, while they fulfill the requirements for a regular certification. In addition to a bachelor’s degree, candidates must have either passing scores on the appropriate subject knowledge Arizona Educator Exams or hold a master’s degree in the subject area to be taught. While holding the Intern Certificate and working as a teacher, candidates must fulfill the regular requirements for a Provisional Teaching certificate, which include completion of a Department of Education approved teacher preparation program. Candidates must secure enrollment in a teaching program prior to applying for this type of certificate.

Career and Technical Education Certificates

Candidates who wish to teach career and technical education (CTE) subjects, such as agriculture, business and marketing, or family and consumer sciences may be eligible for a Career and Technical Education Certificate. The requirements for this certificate vary based on the CTE instruction area, but for most areas candidates must have at least either a bachelor’s degree in the instruction area plus at least 240 clock hours of work experience. Candidates may also qualify with a high school diploma and at least 6,000 clock hours of verified work experience in the instruction area. This path leads to Provisional certification; candidates must then complete the requirements for Standard certification within 3 years. For further detail consult the Arizona Department of Education guide to CTE certification.

Testing Requirements for Arizona Alternative Certification

Arizona alternative teacher certification candidates must pass the same exams as traditional pathway candidates. The Arizona Department of Education provides a list of required exams by subject area and grade level.

Transferring Teaching Licenses from Another State

If you hold a teaching certificate in another state, you may apply for a Reciprocal Provisional Teaching Certificate in Arizona. Teachers who meet Arizona reciprocity requirements may be issued a Reciprocal Provisional Teaching certificate, which is valid for three years. After holding the provisional certificate and completing any testing or education deficiencies, teachers may apply for standard Arizona teacher certification.

Additional Resources

Schools with Alternative Certification Programs in Arizona

Because the alternative certification process is complex, we have researched and provided specific school programs below for individuals who have a bachelor’s degree outside of education and want to become a teacher. We recommend you request information from one or more of these specific programs:

Searching for Schools...
Matching School Ads

1. Arizona Department of Education, Certification Unit: http://www.azed.gov/educator-certification/