Oklahoma Alternative Teacher Certification
Realizing the potential impact that knowledgeable professionals outside of the field of education could potentially have on their public school system, especially in areas of critical need, the Oklahoma State Department of Education has instituted a route for Oklahoma alternative teacher certification for those who qualify.
Eligibility for Alternative Teacher Certification
Individuals who have completed at least a bachelor’s degree in a content area that directly corresponds to a subject offered in Oklahoma public school systems with a minimum of a 2.5 GPA and have worked in their specialty area for no less than two years may be eligible for alternative certification.
Testing Requirements for Alternative Teacher Certification
These candidates will be required to pass a General Education Competency Examination and a Subject Area Competency Examination administered by the Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation (OCTP) prior to licensure. In addition, prospective teachers must take and pass the Oklahoma Professional Teaching Examination before they can receive a standard Oklahoma teaching certificate. Those wishing to pursue an alternative route to certification in the state should apply to the Teacher Competency Review Panel (TCRP).
Troops to Teachers Program
Oklahoma also participates in the Troops to Teachers program which enables former members of the United States Military to acquire certification to teach in the public school system. Those interested in pursuing this licensure option should contact the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
Additional Information on a Oklahoma Alternative Teacher Certification
Oklahoma Non-Traditional Teacher Licensure Program Oklahoma State Department of Education
Schools with Programs for Alternate Certification in Oklahoma
Because the alternative certification process is complex, we have researched and provided specific school programs below for individuals who have a bachelors degree outside of education and want to become a teacher. We recommend you: Request information from one or more of these specific programs
(Other master’s programs not listed below are intended for teachers who are trying to get deeper into their profession.)
- Master of Arts in Education/Curriculum and Instruction
- M.A. in Education/Elementary Teacher Education
- M.A. in Education/Secondary Teacher Education
- M.A. in Education/Administration and Supervision
- And more...
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- Education, MS - Teaching and Learning (Online)
- Education, MS (Online)
- Education, MS - Teaching and Learning
- Education, Joint MS - MBA (Online)
- And more...
- M.Ed. Teaching & Learning: History
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- M.Ed. Teaching and Learning - Elementary Education
- And more...
- Master of Education in Teaching & Learning
- Master of Education (M.ED.)
Sorry, we could not find any matching schools
Page edited by Charles Sipe.